Friday 12 September 2008

Londoners.

I have been feeling a bit more like I belong here and have lost some of that "new kid in school feeling" Things that have helped make me feel like a Londoner:

1. Kindness of strangers.
I was waiting for the bus after work and chatted briefly with a women next to me. A car pulled up to the bus stopped, rolled down the window and the driver invited the woman, (who was his colleague,) into the car for a ride to the tube station. She got in, and the poked her head out and invited me in as well. I got a ride to the tube from a lovely British gentleman. As I am writing this I am thinking, "that could either be a sweet story, or really scare my parents." Sorry Mom, I went with my gut and had a nice commute.

2. School Run.
TJ and I found out one morning that we take the same tube line to work - I get off the Jubilee a bit earlier than he does, but then take the Piccadilly to the bus, while he stays on to Canary Warf. We had been leaving the house at about the same time every day - but once we figured out we could grab 15-20 more minutes together each morning, we've been trying out doing a bit of the commute together. Those early, (OK you know us, not too early =) morning walks to the tube together, as neighborhood children arrive at the local primary school have become one of the best parts of my day. The kids in their little hats, short little trousers, and mini-book bags are a very fun sight! We quite often get run of the sidewalk by scooters, and have admired quite a few ambitious, mop-like long hair styles of the little boys. And I get to see it all with TJ - ahh, it's the simple things.

3. Local food.
I'm headed to have my first formal Tea today followed by a visit to Clarence House, where Charles and Camilla live. A very English afternoon with a few friends.

As we approach our 2 year anniversary of living here, the challenges seem to diminish and I truly do love it. If only our family and friends would move on over =)

No comments: