Tuesday 15 May 2007

Weekend Update - Relaxation.


This weekend was truly relaxing for us. TJ was recovering from back-to-back trips (Endinburgh and Tel Aviv,) I am preparing for a 12 day trip to Spain, (TJ joins me at the end of it,) it was raining on and off, and we had absolutely no plans.

So we pretty much stayed in, slept well, did laundry and relaxed. The bulk of the day was spent in comfy clothes, papers laid out, and 3 laptops going at once....our idea of a lazy weekend.

As I had to venture out to do some errands in preparation for my trip, I had lunch out both days. It turned out that I've found my two new favorite places:


1. The Drayton Arms
Its at the end of our street- about 3 blocks from the flat. What appealed to me was walking in and seeing how many different groups of people where there, having some lunch, or a pint. A family who ranged from 10-60 years old, a bunch of Sloaney Pony girls in their 20's with long hair and wellies, and their counterpart guys with blazers and popped collars.

Plenty of couches, good menu and nice selection of wines...perfect place for a weekend lunch, or to stop on the way home from the tube.


2. The Trafalgar

It's right next to our grocery store (Waitrose,) and at night looks hip and swank. The type of place that I picture meeting a friend out for a glass of wine...so until that day comes, I have no problem picking up what's left of the Sunday Times and heading there myself. I had a lovely glass of sparkling rose and a fabulous roasted beet, goat cheese and rocket (arugula) salad. Pictured all of my dear friends there, with me, in some way.

SO next time you go out and see that nice woman there eating by herself...give her a smile because she may have just found her new favorite place.

What did you do this weekend.....(Comments pls!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had a nice relaxing weekend! Our weekend was neither rainy nor relaxing. It was busy, but fun. Friday John was working so I went to my friend Lucille's house for a glass of wine. We hung out outside on her back patio and her husband lit a fire in their outdoor fire pit. And we toasted marshmallows. I hadn't had them in so long and they were delicious!

The rest of the weekend was spent doing a lot of yard work and gardening. And we went out for Mothers' Day Brunch.

We will be leaving for Menorca, Spain on Saturday. I hear that there are ferries from Barcelona to Menorca so if you and T.J. would like to come by to visit... I will email you our hotel #. Otherwise we will toast to you from across the Balearic Sea!

Thanks for the guide book for John's birthday. It will be put to good use.

P.S. I will never look at the lone girl in the restaurant quite the same again! :)

Jennifer said...

dear friend - ah the fond memories of insuring you that SF would be the best place and you would have so much fun - even on your own... and here you are exploring London having lunch on your own as I know you spent many times in SF alone enjoying the time. to enjoy your own self - that's an art.
my weekend was not spent alone or relaxing it was a whirl wind of family mother's day celebrating, friend visiting and wedding planning that left my head spinning. yet it was a terrific time. however, i would have cherished meeting you for lunch. much love.

Anonymous said...

Hey there- you just sound like such a native with your "Sloany Pony" and "popped collar" talk! The weekend here was fairly tame- we had family over for Mother's Day. Craig and I did have a similar realization, though. We've liked our house since we moved here last summer, but having family over on a day where the weather was so nice and enjoying cocktails on our deck, we realized that we really loved our new surroundings.

The next time you're wishing for a friend to share a glass of wine with, think of me- we'll be enjoying a lovely glass of Cabernet!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

So glad to hear the precise details of your salad. Maggie and I certainly miss your colorful culinary descriptions. We have not had a single beautiful meal since we moved away from you and TJ. Can't wait to get over there to visit. Kids need to get a little bit older and I promise we will be there. Miss you guys. Thanks for keeping us up to date.