Sunday 30 March 2008

India - Delhi

I've just returned from the trip to India and Nepal.

It was definitely the most culturally unique trip I've taken in the past year and is a bit difficult to describe. It's not as easy to say "I loved it," as there were so many things we did (from rides on a rickshaw, to an elephant to a mountain flight) and so many sensory experiences (from the food, to the heat, to the colors...) I did love it and am so glad we went.

I took a ton of pictures - and think they show the best of the trip.


I arrived into Delhi and had the day to myself as Lauri and the rest of the tour were not arriving until that evening. It was my first lesson in 'being a woman traveling alone' - as I left the hotel and was immediately confronted with all sorts of people who wanted to show me a shopping center, provide directions, walk next to me, or give me a ride in their taxi. (Taxi's would pull over on the street and yell at me "hey - I'll take you where you need to go.)


I had a quiet dinner and was happy to join the group. Our highlights from Delhi were:

-the Red Fort
-traveling in the a rickshaw through the old town where we were hit with water balloons from people celebrating the Holi festival
-Visits to the Jama Masjid (largest mosque) and humayun's tomb
-A luxurious dinner at the Imperial Hotel's Spice Route
Lauri and I enjoyed champagne and went over the highlights of the day. We couldn't believe that so much had happened in only 24 hours and relished in some good food and air conditioned bliss.


All of the pictures from Delhi are here.

Agra, Jaipur and Katmandu to follow (there are a lot of pictures =)

No comments: