Saturday 8 November 2008

4 tries + 35 years + 5 Boroughs + 26 Miles = #10


New York Marathon:
My idea was to celebrate my 35th (ouch) birthday by running the New York Marathon and 'being home' with friends and family.

I knew I'd automatically get in to the race, (unlike 80% of the people who try,) as one of the clauses of the massive lottery entry system is that if you fail in the lottery pick for 3 years in a row, on the 4th year you automatically got in.

We came into the city a few days earlier, kindly stayed with Kerry and Kevin, spent plenty of time with Kathy and my mom and Mary, I got my hair-did, shopped a bit, visited the expo, marvelled at the Halloween parade in the village, ate well and often and was in bed, resting by 9pm on the night before the race.

The alarm went off at somewhere around 4am - and I was on a bus towards Staten Island by 5am. The army of buses and volunteers were amazing - and I began the 5 hour wait to start in a corner of a tent, with thousands of other runners, wrapped in garbage bags and old sweats, listening to ipods, sleeping or my case, reading magazines. Oprah kept me company as the sun rose and I headed toward the start as part of Wave 2, at 10:00.

The start and initial run over the Verrazano bridge gave me goosebumps. There were fire boats in the water, with large sprays that reflected the light and produced huge rainbows. People were stopping and taking pictures and there were lots of cheers and clapping. I was almost immediately out of breath...more from emotion than exertion and knew I had to relax and enjoy myself.

I have been so very blessed in my life, to be surrounded by family and friends that have always been my cheerleaders. But on this day - the entire city of New York, along with my family and friends that travelled to be with me - were all one huge cheering crowd. In previous races, I've had one or two people out on the course that I knew - and for the past few races, TJ has been sweet enough to travel with me, and have entire weekends taken up by my running. This time he was joined by my fabulous friends and family - whose faces I searched for throughout the entire race! I could not stop smiling the entire time.

I have never felt better, (mentally) in a race. My body on the other hand was a bit beat up. I tried to think of the charity I was running for, (NASS) and how people suffering from this condition feel this way all the time. Every day....every step.

I am blessed and tried to power through it. The first half was strong, and I was at goal pace and finished it under 2 hours.
I saw TJ and Kathy at mile 17? Lauri, Karen, Stacia (and Christine in spirit) a bit later on, followed by Kathy, TJ, Kerry and Kevin, (right off of a flight from Richmond,) and finally my mom and Mary at the finish. I took place in numerous high-5's with little kids, met eyes with hundreds of people cheering 'GO NASS', thanked tons of NY police, firemen, and water station attendants and finished with my hands high at 4:23. Not my best time - but by far my best marathon.

The day was not over - as TJ sweetly planned a fabulous dinner at
Otto. We ate Mario Batali pizza, amazing antipasti, and had some fantastic wine. I couldn't stop smiling as I looked around at everyone there. This is a day that I will never forget.

I am tremendously blessed and lucky to have the support I do. I only have to sit quietly to still hear people cheering me on. (I sometimes need such motivation on cold, rainy Monday mornings =)


The challenge and the energy running requires may be a selfish one, but it actually motivates me to be stronger in my relationships. - Joan Benoit Samuelson

No comments: