Tuesday 10 February 2009

Quintin Head Race

We are in a new season for rowing - Summer is shorter Regattas and Winter is longer Head Races. We competed in our first - the Quintin Head a few weekends ago. (I am in seat number 5.)

Training has been a bit more intense. I awake at 6:00 each weekend morning, for the first outing at 7:45. We're usually out on the water until sometime around 10:00 - then head into the club for some tea and biscuits - then back on the water for the second outing until about 12:30.

I'd love to report that with all of this training, we blew out the competition and finished in the top boats at Quintin. But alas...we rowed up to the start, boat 94 out of 99 - passing our competition along the way.

Our competition in the Women's Novices division were 16 yr old girls. They had pig-tails and leg warmers. And the blew past us, one by one. We finished last.

But what a good day...and each weekend morning when I feel sick to my stomach getting up that early and exhausted each afternoon....there is always a moment of glory. Being on the river that early in the morning with the sun rising, hearing the birds talking to each other and the sound of the boat...I am amazed that at my age, I am participating in this fantastic sport. (And then the day dreams stops as I get a blade in the back because I am out of time, or catch a small crab, or feel a leg cramp....and I am brought back to earth.)

No comments: