Sunday 18 October 2009

Centre Pompidou

I began studying French in the 7th grade at Saxton Middle School. I took French all through high school, a bit during my break from Cortland and then as an adult in San Francisco.

Ever sine those beginning text books, there have been repeated cultural references and 'must do's" when visiting the country. You 'must' visit a cafe (ordering a crocque monsieur or madame bien sur,) you 'must' eat baguettes, you must visit the Luxembourg gardens and you 'must' visit the Centre Pompidou.

http://www.centrepompidou.fr/


I didn't get my chance until this summer with a day to spare in Paris. During my studies, the teachers always pointed out that the building was very much debated by Parisians. It is as if it has been turned inside out, with all of the systems on the outside.

It all seemed very posh and cultural to the 7th grade me. And it did not disappoint the 36 yr old me.



The fountains outside were crazy and there we tons of street performers and artists outside creating quite the scene.

This guy was scribbling on paper - and suddenly the scribble became President Obama.


I just loved this clown, entertaining children one moment, stopping for a cigarette the next.



It makes me smile to think of telling the 7th grade me where the she'd be living in 20 years and some of the things she'd get to do and see. Through the braces, glasses, neon and permed hair, she would have squealed, "awesome!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My absolute favorite museum in Paris!