Friday 11 December 2009

Berlin - 20th Anniversary of the fall of the Wall.

I travelled to Berlin for the first part of November for work. It was the culmination of 12 months of work for me as a freelancer.
I spent one year working on one event - an event that had sold out both the exhibition hall and for delegates with over 7,200 people onsite. A lot of long hours in the office and a huge sense of relief and excitement for me that it was a success. I travelled to LA, and New Orleans over the past year for it, and truly enjoyed working with such a good team of people both on the client side and internally.

The trip and event coincided with the celebrations of the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
A few coworkers and I went to the Brandenburg Gate the night before the celebrations.




We were able to see them running through their preparations, the seats in place for the world leaders, the dominoes at the ready, and the lights shining.



The dominoes were amazing and replicated the lively and colorful artwork that now adorns the remaining parts of the wall. They asked local school children and artists to design them and they were stunning.







Looking back on the night and event as I sit here in the flat, relaxing a bit over coffee in my pajamas, it was a beautiful way to celebrate for me personally and I am so happy that I was able to share in the city's history in some way.

It was a long year for me, and and a long time of change for Berlin. I have been feverishly catching up on my sleep...and having fun day dreaming about what I'll do in the year ahead =)

No comments: