Wednesday 16 December 2009

Berlin -Reichstag

The second spot on our list was a visit to the Reichstag - the home of the German Parliament. We heard that if you visit the restaurant at the top, you don't need to wait on the huge long line at the entrance.

We first tried to go in the 'side door', telling them we had a reservation at the restaurant...well a quick call up confirmed that they were not yet open. After our own call to them, and a booking for later that night, the security team let us up.


To ensure full artistic transparency, the majority of these pictures were taken by TJ. I had what some would call 'a tough time' on the walk up the circular dome once inside.


It started out OK for me, but once I went on, it was a weird combination of height, dimensions and depth as we climbed nearer and nearer to the top of the dome. We had the headsets on, which told you when to stop and pointed out sights and gave facts about the dome.

It was a bit comical as I started walking more and more quickly, all the while clinging on to the railing with my sweaty palms. (I may have pushed a few people out of the way gently - it's all a blur =)

It is an amazing building with a fantastic design that focuses on harvesting heat from the sun, and recycling water. The view were unreal, and we were able to walk around outside of it in the brisk air (very good for my palms.)

A remarkable blend of old historic Berlin with a new, modern element. And a very comical walk for me.

No comments: