Saturday 16 June 2007

Back to Finchley

Golf via the tube again (it takes about an hour door to door via tube, and it was 2 hours via car to reach this course last time with the unintentional detour / scenic route out by the new Wembley Stadium...).

My colleague Greg and I caught another great weather day, and were paired up with a guy that had recently joined Finchley, so we were able to play the member's tees (back), which was good in that it stretched this short-ish parkland course by another 300 yards or so. He was an American that had just recently left his career in Arizona working in M&A in the biotech sector at age 60 (most recently working for a company that I worked with when I used to go to Scottsdale) to take a post with the State Department, which placed him in London.

With a better swing, some confidence from the rounds in Scotland weeks earlier, and some local knowledge from the first round played here, I had a much better result (including a left handed up & down in front of the clubhouse crowd enjoying the day and their pints - which might be my best par in years).

I had a few bogeys and a couple of birdies on the front, and coming off of that lefty par save and then a subsequent birdie on 13 I found myself at even par, and started to think about it (of course) and the fact that I had a chance to post a sub par number.

...which led to two quick bogeys in a row.


Result: a pretty satisfactory +2 / 74... just need to clean up some of the loose errors (and to play more frequently).

footnote* - both of our putts in the top photo were for birdies, and both were missed.

No comments: