Monday 29 March 2010

For our 5th anniversary, (symbolically wood,) TJ gave me grapes vines. During the whole of 2010, I get to visit the vines, watch them grow, pick the grapes when ready, and create my own labels for the bottles of wine I will receive.


This is all through Chapel Down, in Kent. We started drinking their rose last summer, and met with the wine maker at the Taste of London. He was generous with us, and even let us help ourselves to the last of the vast selection of oysters he was serving. He and his wines have made an impression on us.


A few weeks ago, we made our first of hopefully seasonal trips to my vines. I really want to see them in all seasons.

We started the trip (the first in our new car, thanks to the 'scrappage scheme', the same as the cash for clunkers in the US,) with a lengthy 2.5 hour drive from London through the rainy towns leading us to Kent.

We were racing to make a late lunch booking - and our efforts were thoroughly rewarded. The lunch and atmosphere at Richard Phillips got us all excited about all of our potential next visits. It was a lovely combination of modern and traditional decor, and modern and traditional Sunday pub lunch cuisine.






We had a brisk walk of the vines during their winter sleep.



I cannot wait to see them in a few months time, when they begin to awaken. It is a perfect present for me! I look forward to enjoying it in all of its stages throughout the year. I can't wait to celebrate our next anniversary with a sip of 'my wine.'

No comments: