Wednesday 1 April 2009

Kensington & Chelsea Women's Club

When we first moved here, TJ's co-worker told him that his wife was a member of the Kensington & Chelsea Women's club, and that it really helped her meet some great friends and that she loved it.

As we lived in Chelsea - I thought, 'why not!' I joined about 6 months after moving here, and have subsequently become a co-chair of the After-Hours club, (directly from our website: This group is dedicated to social gatherings that take place outside of the 9-5 work week.) and have just signed up to be the chair of the Wine Society.

Through After-Hours, I have planned events like: food and wine tasting and tour of the new Whole Foods, late night visits to the British Museum and Tate Britain, viewings of Sex & and the City, Champagne tasting and visit to the world's largest champagne bar at Paddington, and a tour of the designers of Fashion Weekend.

I have met some of my greatest friends here - and chuckled a bit at the 'ladies who lunch' and mostly at myself as I've become one of them. It reminds me a bit of my sorority in college, and my much-loved position as social chair, (3 semesters in a row.)


I recently attended an afternoon walk through Sloane's Square - lead by a blue badge guide, with stops at a little coffee shop, Trinity Church, and the Saatchi Gallery.


Saatchi has a current exhibit - 'Unveiled - New Art from the Middle East'. We first saw the work above, with Kerry and Kevin in a chalk cave of a champagne house in Reims, France.

The artist took tinfoil and covered Muslim women in prayer. When you see it, it truly looks like real women in prayer from the back...but it's only until you see their faces, or what is empty holes and see the shapes all together...that you can truly react to the piece. It amazes me.



This club has things going on every day - art lectures, private tours, travel groups, french, spanish and italian conversation groups - each time I meet women who are so open to meeting new people, and have their own story of where they came from to get to London. It has become a very large part of my life here, and I am very happy I took TJ's colleague's advice.

3 comments:

Peri McDonald said...

This sounds awesome Rach! I can imagine you planning away..... ahhhh food and wine!

Kerry said...

The gallery explanation of that work makes it much more interesting than seeing it in the caves where it was rather confusing, and also where I spent most of my time angrily (but silently) chastising the other tourists for TOUCHING the ART. AHH! Too funny to see the same installation twice - in very different settings.

TJ said...

yeah- remember that guy who kicked that one piece! we could have used that fun-house ride, after, that visit.