Wednesday 15 April 2009

Newcastle.

We had trip number 2 in our football tourism tour - this time Chelsea vs. Newcastle. Jen, Ben, TJ and I headed up there - two of us flew, two by train - and we stayed at the Hotel Du Vin. It was my first time staying at this chain, and I'd definitely recommend it.

Each year a city is chosen to be the "european city of culture'....it is greatly advertised and as the award quotes, many cities use it as a way to reinvent themselves internationally. In the same theme, Newcastle may be my pick for 'european city that Rachel likes - small category.'


It is not large...nor grand...it does not have great shopping...
but the main thing I felt, is that it is trying.

They have a beautiful riverside, with cute old and new bridgets. There is a new concert hall (the Sage), and we stumbled upon some fantastic restaurants and bars. We had lunch at a packed, local, basement level italian restaurant which offered tremendous 'value for money.'

And on Sunday we had a fabulous dimsum.

I think if we came 10 or 15 years ago, it would have been way more industrial. Now it is a nice mix, and I think it has some great city planners hard at work.


(Chelsea won, but I'll let TJ post about that.)

One of the best parts of the weekend was Saturday dinner at the Grainger Rooms (stumbled upon, using chowhound + google maps on the blackberry...best travel tip ever!)

When people ask me what I want to do with my life...really, what I want to truly be - my answer is to own a place like the Grainger rooms. It was like have an excellent meal and fun cocktails at the most relaxed, yet elegant friend's dining room you knew. I cannot adequately describe it, but there was something about it that made me truly feel I was experiencing it for a reason.

There is something so amazing to me about creating a space, atmosphere and experience like that. It is like a modern day, accessible Chez Panise.

Someday...someday....


The hotel had this little 'ski chalet', cigar tent thing outside, with plush leather chairs and a fireplace. We ended our trip playing scrabble outside on Sunday.

And I don't think anyone had a Newcastle all weekend =)

All pictures are here.

No comments: